Thursday, September 30, 2010

Day 20: IKAT




Today I wore my little black skirt, silver flip flops, a charcoal tank top and my favorite Ikat scarf by Society of Scarves. Scarves are an easy way to dress up my outfits, and really nice to have in the cool mornings and evenings for a little extra warmth.


If there is one print that I never get sick of, it's Ikat. I love it in all colors. I love it in throw cushions, clothing, accessories, carpets. I love everything about it.
Ikat is an Indonesian language word, which means the method of weaving that uses a resist dyeing process similar to tie-die. Ikat is a near universal weaving style common to many world cultures. Likely, it is one of the oldest forms of textile decoration. Ikat weaving styles vary widely. Many design motifs may have ethnic, ritual or symbolic meaning or have been developed for export trade. Traditionally, ikat are symbols of status, wealth, power and prestige. Because of the time and skill involved in weaving ikat, some cultures believe the cloth contains magical powers.

Here is the black lines through the painting inspired by the ikat print of my scarf.



1 comment:

  1. Welcome back!!!! Looking forward to seeing you guys VERY soon....steve

    ReplyDelete